My favorite things about the Fall? Crisp chilled air, farm fresh veggies, crunchy leaves.
The vegetable selection during this time of the year is awesome! There is an awesome assortment of squash, a ton of pumpkins to choose from, and the best part? Soup & stew season.
This stew is a new recipe I tweaked to perfection, and exactly what you need for that chilly fall day. Not to mention it is LOADED with vitamins, minerals, and a ton of protein.
Butternut Squash & Pumpkin Stew
Chicken - 1 1/2 lbs Butternut Squash - 3 cups cubed Pumpkin Puree - 3/4 can Low-sodium Chicken Broth - 4 cups Spinach - 3 cups Stewed Tomatoes - 1 can Yellow Onion - 1 medium diced Quinoa - 2/3 cup dry Garlic - 3 cloves Olive Oil - 2 tbsp Oregano (dried) - 1 tbsp Salt & Pepper - Pinch, to taste
- In a soup pan, add olive oil, minced garlic, oregano & diced onion
- Once fragrant and soft, add in the butternut squash & tomatoes … allow for vegetables to cook down and become partially soft
- Pour in the chicken broth, allow to come to a boil
- Once boiling, reduce the heat down to medium – add in the cubed chicken
- Allow to cook for 6 minutes, then add in the pumpkin puree & quinoa
- The quinoa will soak up a lot of the excess broth (that is okay), allow to cook until quinoa is almost done
- Add in the spinach
- Reduce heat to low, and allow for the stew to cook for another 8 minutes
- Turn off the heat, pour yourself a bowl of stew, top with some grated cheese if desired, put on a movie, and ENJOY!!!